Athens Public Library was organized around 1890 and was originally housed in a former bakery. Then in 1911 after being closed for a few years was reopened by the Women's Institute and was housed in the lower Town Hall building on Main Street. In 1973 the Library acquired additional rooms in the Town Hall to provide much needed room for books and reading tables.
In 2000 the Township of Athens Public Library was moved to 5 Central Street in the former Township of Rear of Yonge & Escott Township building which was built in 1857. This new location offered more space and better lighting.
Library StaffThe library staff of CEO/Librarian is Freda Schaafsma and Children's Librarian Diane Benschop.
Library BoardThe Township of Athens Public Library Board is made up of six members. The Township of Athens appoints one municipal councilor. Board members are responsible for deciding which services are offered by the library and for securing the necessary funds to provide these services to the public. The Public Libraries Act, a provincial statute, designates library boards as governing boards. As such, library boards perform many functions, including the following tasks:
- determine which services are offered by the library
- seek funds through the Municipal Council's budget
- seek additional funding and grants
- appoint a Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Our Current Board MembersIf you would like to receive more information on the Library Board and our meeting dates, please feel free to contact one of our board members.